Monday, July 6, 2009

Flashback to the Engagement

Dan popped the question on a cold, rainy evening in April, 2008.

He took me out to the driveway after telling me he had to "show me something." I braced myself for the bad news that the homemade winter weatherization we'd done on our boat had failed and that our poor vessel was now full of the icy rain that had been falling for the past week.

Instead, he knelt down on the soggy driveway and pulled a small, red velvet box from his pocket.

Those lovely blue eyes filled with tears as his voice failed him. The white vapor of his breath filled the space between us as a whisper slipped out, "Sarah, will you marry me?"

I forgot to answer. I fell on his knee, my face pressed to his neck, my mind swirling with the realization that yes, Sarah and Dan have a real future together.

I was lost in gratitude. Grateful to be able to call this amazing person my lover and partner, grateful to be able to share time and space with his remarkable children, grateful for all the events - even the painful ones - that led us to this moment.

And then there was a tap on my shoulder. I looked up to see that characteristic mischievous twinkle in Dan's eyes. He tapped me again.

"So? Will you?"

We both laughed as I nodded emphatically.

We're getting married in 12 days.

No comments: